3.28.2012

One of Those Days


Well, my day started out pretty good. I sold something over at Skyland Drive and I was getting it in the mail. I went to put it in the mailbox and I noticed it was leaning. Then when I looked out the window I saw this.


photo (1)

Yeah. It just fell over. I’m guessing someone hit it. #3 son said it wasn’t him.
So, I did a little digging to see if I could get the rest of the post out.

photo (2)

Because as usual, my husband is out of town. It never fails. I’d say he’s gone about 90% of the time when something breaks. The dryer, the car battery, the computer, the gigantic roach. Okay, the roach wasn’t exactly broken but I HAD TO KILL IT!

photo (3)

So anyway, I was hitting all sorts of rocks. Big rocks. I don’t know how it was even put there in the first place. I was fearing that there was cement.

So, I waited until the boy got home from school and I let him do some digging. He got down further but wasn’t feeling the bottom. Then we found this.

photo (6)

I think it was the post from the original metal box. Who knows.

I looked up the installation for this mailbox and it said to use a 48 inch 4x4 and 40 inches was what broke off. So I didn’t think it could be that far down. 

But boy was I wrong.

photo (5)

The boy ended up taking an ax to the stump to try to break it up. 
He loosened it up enough and was able to pull it up out of the hole.

photo (4)

And pull some more.

All 40 some odd inches of it! They had buried it almost 4’ deep!

So, off to Home Depot I went for a new 4x4. I had them cut it to 7’ so we could just slide it back into the original hole. It seems a little higher now. Oh well, it’s in now.

I forgot to take an after picture but you know, it’s just a mailbox. 
It was 7pm by the time I got back from HD and the boy was hungry. 
Hey, I had to look at plants and stuff.

I hope nothing else breaks before hubby gets home.


image

10 comments:

  1. It's always something, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How convenient for hubby to be gone! Hard to believe that post was buried 4 feet! Makes me think of last winter when my hubby was gone away for work, it was sub zero, and the furnace decided to quit. Oh, and I had to quickly learn how to use the snow blower to clear out the knee deep drifts in our driveway. I was not a happy camper, to say the least!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got your mailbox back up! Husbands are always away when you need them, Murphy's Law-LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine has been leaning for years ... only a matter of time! I keep propping it up with some stones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ain't it the truth... stuff always breaks when my husband isn't here! I once had to replace my front door knob, at 10:00 pm, back in the day when there was no such thing as Home Depot! Fortunately a local hardware store was open until 10:00 and I made it in just in time to get my new knob!

    Great job!
    ~Chris

    PS and of COURSE you had to look at the flowers and stuff... what's a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot without stopping in the gardening center... or holiday aisle... or the lighting fixtures... carpets....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to make a really tasteless joke about "sliding it in the original hole" but the better half of my brain took over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one long post!
    The crappy stuff always happens when my husband is gone, too. We had a stray dog lay down in our back yard once and die. I had to bury it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I am new here, was drawn in by your name. I am missing me some coastal loveliness! We enjoy Mendocino, CA when we can get away, but it's been a crazy year. I grew up in Petaluma, CA close to Bodega Bay, from THE BIRDS movie fame. Not sure what coast you are on but the pics are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, they really wanted to make sure that mailbox was firmly in place!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. I love hearing from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails