10.22.2011

Thicker Molding, a Sneak Peak and Angels Singing




This is taking a wee bit longer then I had thought.
It’s because those shelves don’t come out so there it lots of cutting in.

But I am hanging in there even with a couple of glitches.
First, I had to wait for #3 son to come home to help me move the top off of the bottom.
After all the dust and dog hair was cleaned I got started.

hutch copy

When we got it down I remembered that we had beefed up the molding many years ago.
It had such whimpy molding for such a large piece.

So I thought I’d show you how we did it.

molding2 copy

Here is where the original molding ended. It just was too thin for my liking.

molding copy

Here is a shot of it from the back. 
We just added a piece of square molding on top of the old molding. 
That gave us something to add the small piece of crown to.

molding3 copy

Here is another view. I have no idea why we used screws. 
I can barely remember what I did 2 days ago. 
It seems we use both screws and nails. We bought it unfinished about 12 years ago and I stained it.

So, I’m sure you’re wondering how the chalk paint is going,
 I’m having a love/frustrated relationship with it.

I’ll give you a little peak.

hutch2 copy

The back is all the same color. Trust me. It all looks like the the left side.

This is it with one coat of Pure White. I was prepared for applying 2 coats. But really, I need 3. 
That is where the frustration kicks in. I am getting near the end of my can. It’s late Saturday afternoon. Robyn Story Design, which is where I ordered it, is closed. 
They don’t open again until Tuesday. I wanted to get it ordered fast so it could get here fast.

Frustration turns to panic. I start looking for another stockist that might still be open. (stupid time zones) Then I see one in Tallahassee. But wait, what is this? One even closer? Like 30 minutes away? My heart jumped. Then, when someone actually answered the phone I think I might have heard the angels singing.

Hallelujah!

It was Elaine. My angel of mercy. Or my angel of Annie Sloan paint.

Elaine explained to me that her shop, The Sonshine Studio, isn’t opening until Nov 1. But that she had the paint and she would sell it to me! How sweet is that? I hurried my little butt over there and got my hands on another can of Pure White. Thanks so much Elaine!

doors copy

When Elaine gets her website up I will pass that along.
I’m just excited that I now have someone local. So keep checking the stockist list
They seem to be adding more and more all the time. No more shipping fees. 
Yippee Skippy!



(Here’s a little treat for you. You must hear KD Land sing this song. I know, I’m a bit all over the map today. Sorry about that. I would blame it on the paint fumes but there really aren’t any with this paint!)


I’ll be back with more pictures soon.
I am loving how it’s turning out!


image

30 comments:

  1. Oh Anita,,,, KD was across the street at Ruth Eckerd Hall this month... and I am so excited that you started the project.
    Looking good. That was a treat to find your Angel so close... Free shipping is always good!
    Have fun with this. Will be wonderful once your finished.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your project is coming along nicely! Love the addition of the extra molding! ... Love that song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the addition of the extra trim. You stained it, and now you're painting it-isn't it funny how our tastes change?
    I think your hutch is going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see it.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. The extra molding was a great idea. I can tell the paint job will be too. Good for you to find someone local. I wish there was one here because I want the sample jars. How are you not getting white paint all over your pretty hardwood floors? I didn't see a drop cloth?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see the finished photos - it looks amazing. I am always so impressed by your ingenuity! (Love the KD Lang video. She's amazing.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to ask the question.. Are you really painting above that floor with no paper down?
    Your a brave woman...lol
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still laughing at Sandy's comment as I try to write my own!
    LOL!
    Looks like you are moving right along!
    YIPPEEEE~~
    Smiles~
    Gypsea Nurse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I am being the little risk taker and not using a drop cloth. I find that it's easier to see the spill and just wipe it up. When I use a drop cloth I can't see it and then I step in it and track it all over the house! Even if it dries I can just scrape it off with my finger nail.

    Someone just emailed me that they could not comment. Is anyone else having problems? If so, can you shoot me an email? Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, that's quite a project you've taken on. looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see the finished piece! EEEE!!!!

    xo
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like lots of work, Anita! But so far, so good. I think you will love the new look. Good think you found a local supplier, yeah! And the addition of moulding was a terrific idea! It really makes then entire hutch!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The extra molding is wonderful. I love the look and the white is soooooo pretty. I can't believe you're painting on those gorgeous floors. I am sure you cover them up, don't you? Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a maker of magic. Seriously. I am in awe of all you can do. And I love the white. It's perfect.

    And that song is one of the best songs of all time. Jeff Buckley's version is my favorite, but I've never heard a version that didn't give me chill bumps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is looking great, Anita! I love it in the white. Elaine sounds like a very sweet woman! I finally bought chalk paint and can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you lucked out on finding a closer stockist. That would have been hard to wait a few days to finish it up. I'm going to check their list to see if they have any in my area. Good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is going to be just beautiful! and i heard her version of that song- i think she sang it at the olympic games a few years back? it gave me chills then and does now. she has raw, soulful talent.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhh, I can't wait to see it all done! I can tell it's going to look great. Lucky you finding someone near by so that you didn't have to order it. I'm going to have to search and see if anyone has it around here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks beautiful so far and I am so glad that you found a stockist near you!
    Love the song, when she sang it at the Olympics, I got the biggest chills it was so beautiful.
    Can't wait to see the finished piece!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anita, you constantly amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel silly asking you this, are you priming it? Why is it taking 3 coats?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Keep going!!! I can't wait to see the finished product!!!!
    xo
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  22. No cloths on that hardwood??? You are one brave soul! Tell me you just cleaned up for the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoyed the video! Thanks for sharing! What luck to find just what you needed close by!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the look of the added molding- I wouldn't have thought to do that with a piece of furniture. Can't wait to see the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow it is looking great. nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. The piece is looking fabulous and thanks so much for showing us how you did the additional molding. I've been wanting to do that to some bookshelves and feel much more confident now.

    I love KD and that song so am off to listen to it right now :O)

    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. I love hearing from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails